Saturday 9 January 2010

Road to Mr and Mrs

Having already experienced the first attempts at planning a wedding before moving from Queensland to Melbourne, I thought it time to begin planning again now that Christmas and New Year have passed and we are safely and happily settled into our new house.
As Paul is in the Army, this was our downfall with attempt number 1. With work commitments, interstate courses and general day to day interruptions of the military lifestyle things just didn't want to happen they way we'd planned. But for this, we are happier. We no longer need to rush the planning, selecting, meeting and finalising of suppliers and we get to really work together and make the important decisions together (although his response to most things is "I like what you like darling"). On the upside, we did only lose $250 in deposits as our photographer (Paton Photography) was very compassionate and gave our deposit back.

I absolutely adored planning the first attempt at the wedding, and I know I'm going to be even more excited this time around, knowing that this time its definitely for real. I love the researching, meeting with people, diy; just everything about it!
Until Paul goes back to work (and I actually find a job down here), we are unable to really set any dates, or do anything much more than look on the internet and in magazines and remember the pretty places, the yummy looking cakes and the finest photographers. We really don't want a similar thing to happen again. We've got to wait to find out when his work will give him time off, if they have any ops/exercises happening or (god forbid) and deployments lined up. The wonderful thing about being a defence WAG is that you fit your life around them (the military - not Paul!), 100% of the time.

So I thought to myself, as I adore it all so much, I best make a blog to remember it all, and to hopefully keep a few of you back in Queensland in the loop, if anyone reads this!
The one thing I can tick off the list is my dress. It is due to arrive to me next week sometime as they are freighting it down from The Bridal Centre in Brisbane where I bought it. It is an Essence gown, D910 I beleive, and is very elegant and perfect. It is off-white, lace up, lace overlay with detachable lace straps and a detachable lace train. I always promised Paul I wouldn't spend more than $2000 on a dress, but when I tried this one on, I just had to have it. It was my lucky day though, as for paying the full amount up front, the price went from $2250 to $1913!! Can't wait for it to arrive along with my veil, earrings, bracelet and CROWN.

Yes, CROWN.

Well, tiara. I should seriously shoot myself for buying it. What was I thinking. It's either going to go to the flower girl (should we have one) or on ebay. Ok, so I wasn't thinking. When I went for my fitting of the dress once it arrived in store, the lady Trenna (who was absolutely lovely, I should add) was throwing jewellery and accessories at me left right and centre, and as my mum and sister (my lone bridesmaid) were at work that day, I didn't have anyone to remind me that I do not want a lump of metal, crystal and dress pearls on top of my head like when I was 5 and that in actual fact I want a side slide hair piece if anything. Trenna never pressured me or anything, I was just caught up in the moment, as I'm sure many brides-to-be can say they have experienced.

The only other thing finalised is Kaitlin's bridesmaids dress. It's a bit different to any traditional bridesmaid's dress, but it was exactly what I wanted! It's dusty pink with a complete black lace overlay and from "They Call Me Kitten D'Amour" (formerly "Sex Kitten"). It will probably shock a few people, perhaps, but it's mine and Paul's wedding, not theirs.

As for some of the details we have discussed...
We are looking at around 50 guests. Enough for the important people to be there, yet not cost us an absolute fortune.
So far our shortlisted favourite reception venue is Riva St Kilda, but we are yet to meet with them, and yet to hear back from a few other venues I emailed last night.
Our ceremony will probably be around 3-4pm, with reception to follow around 6pm.
We are looking at ways to save money as much as possible. Cakes, flowers, invitations will all be simple and elegant. We are also going to write out exactly what we want from a photographer and get a few of our favourites to quote to what we want, rather than us fitting into a generic package that they designed.
HONEYMOON. Not too sure as yet, but shortlisted a few such as Fiji, Bali and Thailand.

Wow, if you are still with me after all that, I applaud you! I hope to update this regularly with pictures of things I like, places/services I like and hopefully you can all let me know what you think!

Lots of Love
Jenna xx

No comments:

Post a Comment